Friday, April 23, 2010

Book Review - The Help


One of the top 5 books I've read in my life is The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I was reluctant to read it because its a thick book - over 400 pages in length. And, that in itself can be intimidating! But once I started, I wanted it to keep going - to be much more than 400 pages. I yearned to know more about what happened to Skeeter, or how things are with Minny. I love books that allow you to dive in and really explore the characters, so much in fact, that you feel as if they are your friends.

The Help is about three women - Skeeter, Aibileen and Minny - who live in Jackson, Mississippi in 1962. Skeeter is a recent college graduate and Aibileen and Minny are maids for wealthy white folks in town. During the peak of the Civil Rights movement, they each go through transitions in their lives that make them stronger women. They help each other in unexpected ways and unite together through the creation of a surprising project.

Without giving much away, it's an incredibly moving story that really makes you think. What would you do? Would you stand up for your beliefs even if it means losing your closest friends? Would you be accepting of unlikely friends? How far would you go?

A must-read!

Brittney

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book; I couldn't put it down. There's talk it's being made into a movie. And, I hope the rumors are wrong that Oprah will play Aibileen. I think Queen Latifah would be much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read it!!! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS